##

Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Metros


I thought it was just yesterday that I posted some tracks from bands associated with Rip Off Records, but it really has been awhile since I covered anything from them. So why not take a listen to The Metros, who are responsible for some of my favorite records on Rip Off. A 5-piece from Detroit, the Metros released two singles and an album between 1998 and 2000 before vaporizing. I've read descriptions of the band's sound as "pure Gun Club fueled punk", which suggest to me the reviwer either didn't listen to the record or doesn't have a clue about the Gun Club. Whatever. The Metros dish out two minute chunks of gritty garage punk with hooks, and dig it. I think all of their material is still available, check them out if you haven't already. Here's a taste:

from their first 7"
The Metros - Hot-Wired.mp3

from their 1999 self-titled LP
The Metros - Black Leather.mp3
The Metros - Lay It On Me.mp3

from their second 7"
The Metros - I Gotta Go.mp3