##

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Lamps


It took me a bit to warm up to it, but The Lamps 2005 release on In The Red is one of the most oddly enjoyable albums I've heard in awhile. The Lamps sound is a steam-rolling blend of primitive trash rock crossed with anti-social noise, which is "thumbs up" in my book. Virtually every review of this record I've come across name checks the Necessary Evils and either the Cramps or the Gories, so I'll do the same. Everyone also seems to mention that artwork, which as you can see is in fact pretty fucking creepy. Track this one down. Take a listen:

The Lamps - Hot Plate.mp3
The Lamps - 2o" Of Monkey.mp3


Notes:
  • Lamps page at ITR
  • Lamps Myspace page, complete with requisite sounds
  • Interview with the guitarist/vocalist Monty Buckles at Terminal Boredom
  • I picked this one up based upon Agony Shorthand's review