##

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Bouncing Babies



Bouncing Babies was originally planned to be a split hardcore comp released by Maryland based Fountain of Youtb records and midwest label Version Sound. When Version Sound ceased to be a going concern the compilation became an all Maryland/DC compilation featuring bands whose sounds ranged from straight up hardcore to ska to jangly pop to art damage. Maybe that's what disappointed me when I first heard Bouncing Babies. The mix of styles (and a truly terrible GI track) left a sour taste in my mouth, so much so I didn't even bother taping the record. For years I wrote off the comp as a sub par companion to legendary DC comp Flex Your Head. A couple of years ago I was able to give it a second chance and walked away with not only a new appreciation for the record, but also for the scene not covered by Dischord. Some of my favorites:

Dove - Ambivalence.mp3
featured a former member of Red C, I can't find any other info

Crippled Pilgrims - Black and White.mp3
Featuring pre-Trenchmouth members, the guitar is reminiscent of latter day Wipers. Great track

Scream - Ultraviolence-Scream.mp3
rougher sounding than the versions on Still Screaming

Black Market Baby - Suzie Dear.mp3
More great buzz punk from BMB

Reptile House - Talons and Claws.mp3
featuring a pre-Lungfish Daniel Higgs on vocals.

9353 - Ten Witches.mp3
This song grabs me everytime, until the 2:20 mark where the vocals take a schizo turn. Strangely enjoyable though. To me it plays like a mash of Joy Division and Alice Donut.

Void - Get Out of My Way.mp3
I'm not certain, but I think this cut was included on the Condensed Flesh 7" boot released in the early '90's.

Notes:

  • :30 Under DC has a comprehensive Fountain of Youth discography
  • as always, someone factcheck my lazy ass