##

Monday, October 18, 2004

Big Black - Heartbeat

This one is for my wife, who never reads this blog anyway ( and is yelling at me to come to bed )

Big Black - Heartbeat.mp3
Man, I love Big Black. Only they could take a sweet, quiet Wire song and do such damage: drum machine, buzzing guitar, powertool bass. An upbeat dirge. Not the best Big Black song ever, but the one that popped into my head today. This was the "A" side from a 7" released in 1987 or thereabouts, somewhere between their two great albums Atomizer and Songs About Fucking. One of the best parts of getting a Big Black record was reading the "liner" notes - the true stories behind the lyrics. I still to this day have the story behind in "Jordan, Minnesota" and "Grinder" stuck in my head. Hopefully the CD's have preserved this album feature. "Heartbeat" can be found on Rich Man's Eightrack if vinyl aint your thing.

Dementlieu has a nice breakdown on the band ( including some of the liner notes)