##

Thursday, June 03, 2004

Nine Pound Hammer - Kentucky Breakdown

so needless to say I was bit skeptical about the new release from the reformed Nine Pound Hammer. I enjoyed their last studio effort "Hayseed Timebomb", but that was 1994. In the interim guitarist Blaine Cartwright's formed Nashville Pussy who've released 3 albums of cock rock'n'roll posturing and AC/DC ripoff riffs. Nine Pound Hammer is less "arena" rock and more buzzsaw punk. They have been billed as "cowpunk" but you won't confuse this for any Uncle Tupelo or other "Alt-country" crap. The only thing cowpunk is Scott Luallen's hillbilly yodels/vocals, which you'll either love or hate. I love 'em, which is the biggest reason I'm a fan.

Kentucky Breakdown provides 13 tracks of hellacious backwoods rock that skewers southern life. It continues right were "Hayseed Timebomb" leaves off - If I didn't know better I'd swear this album and the previous were recorded at the same time, not 10 years appart. Some may lament the similarity, but it's punk rock for chrissakes! I'm not looking for musical development or growth out of NPH, so I'm completely satisfied.

For your listening pleasure:
Drunk, Tired, & Mean on the Acetate Records Freebie Page
Ain't Hurtin Nobody